Step UP! Oglethorpe educates students about how to be proactive in helping others in areas such as sexual violence prevention, alcohol abuse deterrence, anti-bias dialogue and more.
The goals of Step UP! are to:
- Raise awareness of helping behaviors
- Increase motivation to help
- Develop skills and confidence when responding to problems or concerns
- Ensure the safety and well-being of self and others
The program is led by student advocates who are passionate about teaching their peers how to be leaders in these types of social situations.
Students pass through four steps to be certified as advocates:
- Students apply to be a part of the program. In the first two weeks that the Step UP! form was online, more than 30 students submitted an application.
- Selected students are invited to take part in an initial, two-hour long training that discusses the importance of bystander intervention and general tactics necessary to combat the bystander effect, conformity, and diffusion of responsibility.
- Trained bystanders are consulted one-on-one about which negative social behavior they would most like to raise the bar of awareness on our campus.
- Students are then given the resources they need to write their own presentation to help their peers understand how to combat such a situation. Some of the most recent presentations have included ideas on how to identify and help those going through depression and eating disorders.
We are always looking for new advocates to help raise the bar of awareness regarding various negative social situations.
Plan an event
Student clubs and organizations can request an advocate to help plan an event related to prosocial topics.
The following represents topics currently being offered by certified student advocates. Use the form below to request a presentation for your club or group. Presenters can refine their message to meet your needs!
• Racial Discrimination
• Sexual Assault
• Disordered Eating
Suggested dates for events
- National Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Month – September
- National Suicide Prevention Awareness Month – September
- National Hazing Prevention Week – September 18
- National Good Neighbor Day – September 28
- National Domestic Violence Awareness Month – October
- Depression Awareness Month – October
- Great American Smokeout – 3rd Thursday of November
- National Impaired Driving Prevention Month – December
- National Eating Disorders Awareness Week – February 22
- Problem Gambling Awareness Month – March
- Sexual Assault Awareness Month – April
- National Mobility Awareness Month – May
Request a Step UP! Advocate
Use the following form to request a Step Up! presentation for your groups, organization, or office. Presenters can match their message to your needs. After you submit the form, an event coordinator will contact you regarding any additional information necessary to make the most impactful experience.
Contact Shane Pruitt
Director of Student Engagement & Leadership
firstname.lastname@example.org | 404.364.8892